West Cliff House Owners' Association
Thursday, 23rd January 2020
West Cliff Estate
The West Cliff Estate consists of approximately 130 privately owned properties. The majority of houses on the lower estate were built between the years of 1921 and 1960. The roads involved are Hill Rise, Hill Close, Meadway, West Cliff Road, First Cliff Walk, Second Cliff Walk, Third Cliff Walk and Fourth Cliff Walk. The middle estate was built around 1961 and consists of West Walk up to the junction of Brit View Road. The upper estate was built around 1972 and consists of Brit View Road and the top end of West Walk.
The West Cliff Estate is private, so maintenance is the responsibility of the house owners, pertinent to covenants contained within their property deeds. Council tax payments do not contribute towards road or drainage upkeep on the estate, so the importance of maintaining high standards rests entirely with the house owners, with a goodwill and cooperation of all three sections of the estate. The West Cliff House Owners' Association was formed to maintain the estate on the house owners' behalf. Run by a committee of volunteers, the association's remit is to maintain all services, facilities and land beyond that of the responsibility of individual house owners and relevant utility organisations.
The majority of dwellings are occupied by residents all year round. A small number are second home owned, while a minority are rented as holiday homes. This latter ownership is discouraged, as operating a business is a violation of the property covenants.