West Cliff House Owners' Association
Tuesday, 19th November 2019
West Cliff Estate History
In 1914 a plot of land (15 acres) known as Watton Eweleaze on West Cliff was sold by the 6th Earl of Ilchester, to William James Guppy, Louis Henry Trevett and Samuel Gluning. The Earl reserved for himself a right of way, subject to an obligation of contributing a due proportion of the expense of maintaining the roads. An access strip of land 40 feet wide was also provided, hence Forty Foot Way.
In 1920 a syndicate was formed by the new owners. They built houses for themselves, then in 1921 split up the remaining land into building plots with covenants, to form the West Cliff Estate. The covenants were designed to maintain a good standard and provide a basis for the future recovery of the costs of maintaining the roads and drains.
- No tree or shrub may be grown that unduly interferes with the views of other siteholders.
- No wall or fence shall be constructed to a height greater than four feet six inches.
- Not more than one house or bungalow with necessary outbuildings shall be built on each plot.
- A house or bungalow shall be built on each plot with a construction price as follows (prices correct in 1921):
- Site 1 to 45 - Not less than £150 (all plots seaward side (southwest) of West Cliff Road)
- Site 46 to 53 - Not less than £100
- Site 54 to 58 - Not less than £75
- Each plot owner to pay a proportionate part of the expense of maintaining, repairing and cleansing the roads through the Estate and also of the sewers and drains thereunder, such payment being made according to the rateable value of his plot until they be taken over by the Public Authority.
In 1961 an adjoining field became available for sale. A covenant, corresponding to the original estate was to be included in the deeds of each house sold. Unfortunately the builders went bankrupt before completion and the development was taken over by another builder who claimed not to have been party to the covenant agreement and therefore not liable. The lower section of West Walk was slowly completed.
Around 1970 the upper estate was aquired by Messrs. T A Fisher & Co., who developed and extended further up West Walk together with Brit View Road. The problem of maintaining the roads was then becoming difficult and in 1972, the Trustees of the original estate sold all the verges to the Trustees of the West Cliff Residents and Ratepayers' Association for the legal fees of £25. In 1974 the name was changed from "West Cliff Residents and Ratepayers' Association" to "West Cliff House Owners' Association". Unfortunately the covenants on the three sections of the estate are not identical.
In 2011 following a Government directive, the local water authority became responsible for the foul
sewerage system on the estate. The surface water system remains the responsibility of the House Owners' Association or respective
property owners, depending on pipework location. Gas, electricity and water supplies on the estate are the responsibility of the
appropriate utility companies.
Note:- Due to the 1875 Public Health Act, all foul sewers irrespective of location were public. The 1936 Public Health Act changed the responsibilities, such that foul sewers on private land were only public if they had been in place before 1937. Therefore prior to 2011, all foul sewers on the lower estate had been the responsibility of the local water authority while sewers on the middle and upper estate had been the responsibility of the Association.